Sunday, April 22, 2012

Naknuwisha

Naknuwisha (Sahaptin): No direct English translation, but meaning "Caring for something so precious it swallows you".

I've been reflecting on this word that I found in the book I am currently reading (A Gathering of Finches by Jane Kirkpatrick). Over the past week or so I've recognized a peace about my life, that my mission is to be exactly what I am doing now, and that God has called me to this purpose in life. It's not just being a mother, or a wife, or a homemaker, or any of that. It's everything, all put together, like I have found my perfect niche in life.

While I was raking the garden beds preparing to plant this year's garden, I paused to watch my son pick up leaves from an area where I was trying to remove them and then throw them in the pile I was creating for them. He did this over and over again, partially because he thought it was a game and also because he always wants to help. I just smiled at the joy of watching my son discover the world, discover the joy of serving others, and seeing his little face light up when he looked at me for approval and noticed I was watching him.

My days aren't always easy. James, while sweet playing "hide-and-seek", "peek-a-boo", and a number of other games just as often plays "grab the remote and run" and "throw a tantrum when I'm tired." But being here, present, with my family day after day while tending to my home has a joy and fulfillment I never would have imagined while planning for a career in college. It's as though my life is complete. I feel blessed beyond imagination. And, with this new one coming and getting to stay in a place I love for another year, my cup surely overflows.

My life is not my kids, but what I'm learning is my kids bring so much LIFE into my life.

Children are a gift from the Lord;
they are a reward from him.
Children born to a young man
are like arrows in a warrior’s hands.
How joyful is the man whose quiver is full of them!
Psalm 127:3-5



















Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment