Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Yay cloth diapering!

I am getting REALLY excited about cloth diapering... not only will it save us lots and lots of money, it is healthier for the baby (natural fibers and less diaper rash) and OH SO CUTE! They have lots of colors and designs, and it was recommended that in the summer you don't even have to put a bottom or onesie on the baby because the diaper is cute enough to just wear with a t-shirt.

I think what I am going to do is get prefold diapers with snappis and covers for our newborn until they grow into the Bum Genius one size diapers that we can use from then on to potty training (which means we need about 24 diapers to cover us from birth to potty training, plus a couple prefolds and diaper covers! Amazing!!). I will probably have a few disposables around for the first week and if we travel long distance, but overall I am hoping to cloth diaper most of the time to save money.

I found this video on You Tube that explains the basics of prefolds and covers in case anyone is curious:


Once the baby is big enough, they will go into the Bum Genius 3.0 One Size diapers. Here is a tutorial video of these ones:

(I will be buying new ones that already come with inserts)

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement with you all. I've done a lot of research on how to wash them, and it really isn't that big of a deal, especially if you get enough that you can wash diapers every other day or every three days (and have a day off!). If anyone would like to donate to our cloth diaper collection feel free. :-)

My mom is also sewing us cloth wipes from old receiving blankets so that we don't have to buy wipes either. I plan on keeping a thermos of warm water in the nursery or a spray bottle nearby (or in the diaper bag) to dampen the wipes before wiping the baby. From what I read, plain filtered water is actually preferred over harsh chemicals put in store-bought wipes.

Of course I know there are people out there who prefer the convenience of disposable diapers and wipes and this is not meant to put you down, every one is entitled to their opinion. I'm just excited about my cute diapers that will work for not only this kiddo but our future ones as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment