Saturday, February 20, 2010

24 weeks! Little ear of corn!!

Our baby is 24 weeks today!!

Here is what is happening with little baby Grasso this week:
Your baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts him at just over a pound. Since he's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), he cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.




We went on a hospital tour of Riverbend today, and it was GORGEOUS! They have such a nice facility, I am really looking forward to giving birth there. They answered all my questions and showed us both the labor rooms and mom/baby rooms (the baby stays in the room with you instead of going to the nursery, which I like!). All the windows have beautiful views of fir trees, the valley, or the river. It's quite lovely. :-)

I also started to get a little anxious standing in the labor room, thinking what the HECK did I get myself into?? When you start to think that the growing baby inside you has to come out of you somehow, it is a little harrowing. But I know I have so much support from family and friends, and God will be in control, not me (which is soooo comforting!!).

It is so gorgeous outside I think I may go plant some sugar snap peas in the garden (don't worry, I won't do too much work and I'll stop to rest as necessary). It is just too beautiful to be indoors. I observed the peonies, bleeding hearts, and clematis coming up today, and the blossoms are really blooming on our tree out front. What a beautiful time to be bringing a new life into the world, when everything is becoming new.

No comments:

Post a Comment