Saturday, April 3, 2010

30 weeks! Little cabbage!!

I am 30 weeks today!! This is both exciting and frightening for me... we're in the 30s, people. I could, and very likely will, give birth in the 30s. *insert panicked face here*

However, I do have to say that last night at 5:30am when I had hoisted myself up for the 5th time to go to the bathroom, I started to think to myself "How much longer do I have to do this?" And when I realized I had at least two months to go, I practically cried myself to sleep.

You see, I agree that being pregnant is a miracle. I love our little boy and I love feeling him kick around and do somersaults in my tummy... in fact, I think I will miss having him in there with me and will probably feel a little lonely when he is on the outside and can be taken away (hopefully not too far away!). BUT, being pregnant is also a pain in the bum. Seriously. I think this cartoon says it all:



I actually had a dream last night where everything was going wrong and I just really wanted a drink (not characteristic of me, but I was also single and not pregnant in the dream, so there you go). But I can't drink, even if I wanted to. And I can't have caffeine, not that I did before. And I am really sick of having to heat up my lunchmeat, having to wear the same 4 shirts in rotation, and not having the energy to do everything I want to do ...you see a trend here? I've realized that my life is no longer my own, which I suppose is just preparing me for parenthood. And that's ok... but I just wish I could see my feet when I look down, or not struggle like an upended turtle when trying to get off the couch. Is that so much to ask?

I also would like to turn the temperature down in all the stores about 10 degrees... especially the baby stores. I mean, really, they know preggos shop there, couldn't they at least try to make it more inviting? And if I could only walk around for more than 20 minutes without getting short or breath, dizzy, or a heart that pounds like it wants me to hear it, that would be great. (I did talk to my doc about that, by the way, and she says all my labs came back great, I passed my glucose, my iron levels are good, and my blood pressure is good, so it is just probably pregnancy fatigue from carrying so much weight!).

Speaking of weight, how come I can eat like a normal person and gain 7lbs in 2 weeks? I mean that is REALLY ridiculous. If I gained that much weight in such a short period of time, I should have at least been pigging out on McDonalds and cookie dough ice cream. But no... fruits and veggies for me (with the occasional treat), and still the weight found me!

SO, for all these reasons, I will be happy to not be pregnant anymore. But not yet. Please, Lord, let my little one bake in the oven a little longer... till he is healthy and ready to come out, preferably in at least 8 weeks. :-) As miserable as being pregnant is becoming, it would be worse to see our little one come into the world before he is ready and fully developed.

Speaking of development, here is what is going on with him this week:

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and he weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)



Wow, that cabbage looks huge compared to that quarter.

One last note... be sure to vote for when you think this baby is coming! The poll is on the right side of the blog. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment